RE: [RIF][UCR]Decision Support

Deborah,

Thank you very much for catching the inconsistency re Diamicron. The issue
is just one of American vs. European or Canadian names for medications.
There was some inconsistency in previous versions, and I switched to all
American names for medications. However, I had neglected to switch
Diamicron to an American equivalent. I have done this now.

In addition, I have made sure to clarify that metformin is the generic
equivalent of Glucophage. This required an extra line in the use case, but
that will hopefully be okay.

The modifications are now at
http://www.w3.org/2005/rules/wg/wiki/UCR/Ruleset_Integration_for_Medical_Decision_Support
. I don't know whether the working draft has been frozen already, and
whether these changes will get incorporated.

As to your other comment, I agree with you that a paragraph explaining how
this example would generalize to other domains would enhance the strength
of this use case. This was not, however, the opinion of those at the F2F
meeting, who made the decision.

Thanks again for your help.

Sincerely,
Leora

"Nichols, Deborah L." <dlnichols@mitre.org>
Sent by: public-rif-wg-request@w3.org
03/08/2006 09:44 PM

Leora Morgenstern/Watson/IBM@IBMUS, <public-rif-wg@w3.org>
cc
"Chris Welty" <cawelty@frontiernet.net>, <jpan@csd.abdn.ac.uk>
Subject
RE: [RIF][UCR]Decision Support

Leora,

Overall I think the condensation of this use case turned out quite well. I
would have liked if it had retained the mention of RIF-enabled decision
support as having a wider field of application (because of MITRE's convoy
support example), but it's easy enough for a reader to extrapolate.

One sentence in the case raised questions for me, since I have no medical
expertise:  Bob tells the neurologist that he was "taking Diamicron, ...
forgetting that he had been switched to Metformin."
    (1) The sentence suggests that Bob was in fact previously taking
Diamicron, but that is the first mention of Diamicron, at least by that
name -- perhaps it is equivalent to something mentioned earlier?
    (2) The example stated that the doctor switched Bob to "Glucophage and
Avandia."  True, earlier, a parenthesis mentioned that Glucophage is
"(metformin, one of the biguanides)"; but it's not clear to me whether
metformin is the generic equivalent of Glucophage, or a class of drugs to
which Glucophage belongs.  The information on Bob that is pulled from the
patient data base says he is "taking Metformin."  I might guess from this
that Metformin is somehow equivalent to (or subsumes) Glucophage, but it
could be clearer.

Perhaps clarifying those details would illustrate that ontological
knowledge (here, about related or equivalent drug classes) is indeed
essential if rules are really going to operate together.  In that
connection, I liked the inclusion of Jeff's sentence referring to
ontologies as one source of information for decision support.

Deborah