Re: comments on Editor's Draft of UCR

Hirtle, David wrote:

> There are actually two alignment CSFS:
> Alignment with Semantic Web -- RDF and OWL
> Alignment with Key W3C Specifications -- XML
>
> You're probably right that "Alignment with the Semantic Web" should
> support "Widescale Adoption"...
>
> Actually, I think the two alignment CSFs should be merged. The XML, RDF
> and OWL reqs could all fit as "Alignment with the Semantic Web", for
> example.

My understanding of the two different requirements was that one was:
- "Alignement with widely deployed standards", which includes XML, but
not RDF at this stage; and which may include non-W3C standards. That CSF
is certainly related to the goal of widespread adoption. It is not
necessarily related to the goal of W3C consistency, but it might be
considered as supporting it;
- "Alignement with the Semantic Web", on the other hand, does not
immediately support the goal of widespread adoption; but it clearly
supports the goal of W3C consistency.

So, I suggest that we keep both alignement CSF; that the first be
renamed as proposed above and be linked to the goal of widespread
adoption; and that the SemWeb alignement CSF be linked to the W3C
consistency goal only. Re whether the deployed standard alignement CSF
should be linked to the W3C consistency goal or not, I do not know (in
the doubt, I would rather not, for the sake of simplicity; but the
argument is rather weak).

Christian