Re: RIF: Production and Event-Condition-Action Rules

From: Francois Bry <bry@ifi.lmu.de>
Subject: Re: RIF: Production and Event-Condition-Action Rules
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 13:37:11 +0200

> Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
> >> A few thoughts on Production and Event-Condition-Action Rules and the RIF:
> >>
> >> 1. Production and Event-Condition-Action Rules are a must for RIF
> >> because they are needed for many applications.
> >
> > I believe that this is only necessarily the case under two extra
> > assumptions:
> > 1/ That the widescale adoption goal must be met.
> > 2/ That the widescale adoption goal cannot be met without having these
> >    applications.
> > I do not believe that either of the assumptions are true.  I do not believe
> > that either of the assumptions are held by all the other members of the
> > working group.
>
> In my opinion, assumption 2 is considerably more likely than its negation.

I believe that this depends on one's viewpoint.  In particular, what counts
as "widescale adoption"?  The RIF WG is in the Semantic Web activity, so I
would argue that only Semantic Web applications count for widescale
adoption - handling other applications is nice, but not necessary.

> Assumption 1 is already given by the very concept of Semantic Web.

I don't understand this last statement.  Do you mean that the very concept
of the Semantic Web means that the widescale adoption goal must be met?  I
don't see how this can follow.  Perhaps you mean that the very concept of
the Semantic Web means that the widescale adoption goal has already been
met?  I suppose that one could argue along these lines, and I would be
somewhat sympathetic to such an argument, but I think that there would be
considerable resistance to this from some in the working group.

> Francois

peter