Re: a couple of process suggestions for wiki and zakim

Benjamin Grosof wrote:

> Hi folks, esp. the chairs:
> A couple of process suggestions:
>
> 1. On the wiki, I think it would be good to put an updated version of
> all the telecon-participation instructions and guidance info about irc
> and zakim, cf. Chris's recent couple of emails, onto the wiki page about
> telecons.
>
> 2. It would be great if the irc channel could be separated visually
> somehow into logistical (e.g., who's joined or muted or on the queue)
> and substantial (i.e., real discussion points) parts, to reduce
> distraction and improve focus during the telecon itself.  I don't know
> if this is possible.

On 2, two ideas, first fairly bad I think:

Idea 1:

We could try having two channels or even three ... hmmmm .... one for
Zakim etc. (including the queue)
one for the scribe, and scribe corrections
one for IRC participation in meeting (e.g. "+1", or "also relevant is
http://example.org/")

I don't think that would work well. It's hard enough tracking one
channel real time

Idea 2:

If we all interact with Zakim using the /me idiom e.g.
/me Zakim, IPCaller is me
/me Zakim, mute me
/me Zakim, q+ to make a point
then that stuff is both visually distinguished (e.g. different colour)
in the IRC client, and excluded from the log.

Hmmm, I think that might be worth a try. That leaves the issue as to
when a 'substantive' IRC comment is an attempt to correct a
mis-scribing, or is intended as a non-audible contribution to the discussion

Jeremy