Re: [RIF] [UCR]: What is the RIF (revisited) --> changing vendor rule languages

"Vincent, Paul D" <PaulVincent@fairisaac.com> wrote:

> There are certainly similarities between the rules market today and the
> SQL market of the early 80s. This is why the vendors are supporting the
> OMG PRR and RIF efforts. However, so far there is zero push for
> additional rule construct support in the rule languages.

Perhaps those customers don't know better?

But ask companies like Ontoprise, OntologyWorks, XSB Inc., etc., to get a
different view.

> Possibly a better comparison between PRR(/RIF version of PRR) would be to
> BPEL.

RIF has little to share technically with BPEL, but a lot with SQL.

> > Perhaps the reason why the rules
> > market is fairly small is because the current commercial rule languages
> > are so pathetically poor and ill-founded.
>
> If this is the case I have not seen any evidence to support it, and would
> welcome any links to support this hypothesis!

I dunno about the links. But I can tell you about my own limited experience
consulting for companies. (Consulting is not what I do regularly or
eagerly, hence the disclaimer.) Twice my clients needed a rule language and
twice we considered various commercial products, including some from
companies represented in RIF. And twice we decided to use something else,
non-commercial and open source. The commercial offerings just didn't cut it.

Now, they didn't run to report to the world that commercial offerings are
unsuitable --- they just picked something else.

	--michael