Re: [RIF] [UCR]: What is the RIF (revisited)

Francois Bry wrote:

> Dave Reynolds wrote:

>>> But OWL/SWRL have already introduced disjunctive
>>> conclusions (which btw are not a problem for the
>>> model-theoretic semantics, even not when combined
>>> with NAF; they are only a problem for the inference
>>> engines), so this is not PhD research!
>>>

>> But it is a problem for inference engines, as you say, and that
>> affects RIF.
>>
>> If those features are only commonly implemented in research systems
>> then it is not a priority for RIF to be able to express them.
>>

> Please, let us look at concrtete applications, eg integrity constraints
> that require disjunctive consequents!

I can point concrete applications that require features only available
in very advanced rule systems. I can point to concrete applications that
would *like* features that we know to be impossible. We also need to
consider what is actually implemented, not what is desired in an ideal
unbound world.

> It seems to me that we are having a ideological (= or religious
> fundamentilistic :-) ) debate and not sufficiently discuss the
> applications that need rules to be interchanged on the web!

Quite the reverse. We are having a discussion on how pragmatic RIF is,
whether it focuses on the 80% most common and widely implemented
capabilities or it is pushing the boundaries on richness of rule languages.