RE: [TED] Action-188, ISSUE: production rule systems have "difficulty" with recursive rules in RIF Core

Gary's qu was:

>The issue here is:  is there a general strategy to evaluate recursive
positive Horn rules using forward chaining, so that every ruleset in RIF

>Core can be translated to production rules?  I don't really know for
sure, but I suspect the answer is "no".

Why would you want to define recursion
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recursion) in a production rule system?
Recursion is also (/mainly) a feature of procedural programming
languages. The fact that you can define logical statements using
recursion is surely not very interesting, as you can simply map such
statements to a Java function (or equivalent procedural script).

In terms of "business rules" (and BR Group members may correct me here),
the definition of "factorial" below is really a "computation rule" - not
an inference rule - and would realistically map to a function statement
(not a production rule) in most production rule languages. [And indeed,
I can usually map a computation statement written as a Java method into
something like PROLOG too.]

Issues:

- doing such computation mappings may extend the scope of RIF too much
(do I want to map PROLOG to production rules + scripts?). We risk making
RIF too extensive (and a subset of something like ADM -
http://adm.omg.org/ )

- (my interpretation of) the goal is rule interchange primarily across
similar rule semantics; swapping rules across rule types may not be very
sensible (although vendors may want to extend their rule engines to
cover additional semantics, as Mark implies for JBoss Rules below).
Another example is a constraint rule. "There can never be more than 2
riders on a motorbike". If I have a rule that allocates an additional
rider to a motorbike, does my RIF translator need to be cognisant of all
such constraint rules to add a qualification to my production rule? And
how do I map a number of constraints to do some constraint based
reasoning using production rules? The latter *can* often be done, but
(again) is probably a research topic for a RIF translator...

So: good news for the academic community!

Paul Vincent

TIBCO - ETG/Business Rules