comments on W3C RIF: very good job overall; next steps on expressiveness

Dear RIF Working Group,

In regard to the announcement of RIF as now having achieved W3C Proposed Recommendation status (see Sandro's message appended below), here are some comments about RIF overall, in support of its moving to the next step of W3C Recommendation and then beyond:

Very good job overall.  RIF is needed and well designed.   It is a major step forward towards the vision of web-interoperable semantic rules that I have personally devoted much of my career to in the last dozen years.  It fulfills much of the technical vision of the RuleML effort that I co-founded.  I greatly appreciate the diligent and careful efforts of the Working Group members and the W3C, as well as the other stakeholders and participants in the standardization process, in getting us to this point.

Next steps beyond moving to Recommendation status, over the next few years, should include extending RIF expressively under the Framework for Logic Dialects -- especially to include
-       defaults/nonmonotonicity
-       more deeply integrated reactiveness, and
-       more higher-order/reflection features.
Vulcan and its R&D partner organizations have been developing proposals for new dialect(s), including RIF SILK, that address these additional needed features.

Disclaimer:  Note the views above are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Vulcan Inc.

Benjamin

Benjamin Grosof, PhD -- Semantic Technologies.
-       Sr. Research Program Manager, Vulcan Inc.
Head of Project Halo Advanced Research (HalAR) program.
-       Co-Founder, RuleML Initiative
-       Invited Expert 2005-2007, W3C RIF Working Group