Re: XML Serialization Framework: xml:lang and xml:base

Dear Thomas,

Thank you for your feedback. See our answers in-lined.

Thomas Krekeler wrote 2 November 2009:

 > = 'type' attribute for 'Const' =
 > The list in [1] contains
 > - Const     (individual, function, or predicate symbol, with optional
'type'
 > attribute)
 > On the other hand the XSD schema ([2]) explicitly defines the 'type'
 > attribute to be required.

You are right, the type information is mandatory for RIF constants. We
have corrected that. Thank you for spotting the mistake.

 > = Locator in an Import Directive =
 > The XSD schema ([2]) element 'location' refers to 'LOCATOR' which
contains a
 > 'Const' element.
 > Maybe the XSD schema is out dated since [3] says that a locator is not
 > (rif:iri) constant?

The XSD is outdated: the LOCATOR is a literal of type xs:anyURI. This has
been corrected in Core, BLD and FLD.

 > = xml:lang =
 > The definition of the 'Const' element in [2] refers to the 'xml:lang'
 > attribute.
 > Is this attribute for the reader's information only, or does it affect
the
 > back transformation from XML syntax to presentation syntax?
 > If so, which of the following XML fragments are valid and what are
their
 > back transformations?
 > <Const type="&rdf;PlainLiteral" xml:lang="en">abc</Const>
 > <Const type="&rdf;PlainLiteral" xml:lang="en">abc@</Const>
 > <Const type="&rdf;PlainLiteral" xml:lang="en">abc@de</Const>

No, the xml:lang attribute is not only for the reader's information, it
does affect the back transformation fro mXML to PS. As a consequence, the
three RIF constants in your example would read as follows in the PS:
"abc@en"^^rdf:plainLiteral
"abc@@en"^^rdf:plainLiteral
"abc@de@en"^^rdf:plainLiteral

 > = xml:base =
 > The xml:base specification ([4]) does not define on which URIs
contained in
 > an XML document the resolving mechanism against their base URIs
applies.
 > What about
 > * the 'type' attribute of 'Const',
 > * the content of the 'location' element,
 > * the content of the 'Const' element if its type is xsd:anyURI or
rif:IRI?

Relative IRIs are allowed in RIF XML syntax, anywhere IRIs are allowed,
including constant types, symbol spaces, location, and profile. The
attribute xml:base is used to make them absolute. An section has been
added in the RIF-PRD specification to make that explicit. The "base"
directive in RIF-BLD presentation syntax is mapped to the xml:base
attribute in the XML Document tag (see section 4.3.2 - mapping of the rule
language).

 > [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/rif-fld/#XML_for_the_RIF-FLD_Language
 > [2] http://www.w3.org/TR/rif-fld/#Baseline_Schema_Module
 > [3] http://www.w3.org/TR/rif-fld/#Well-formed_Terms_and_Formulas
 > [4] http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlbase/

Please acknowledge receipt of this email to <
mailto:public-rif-comments@w3.org> (replying to this email should
suffice). In your acknowledgment please let us know whether or not you are
satisfied with the working group's response to your comment.

-The RIF WG

Christian de Sainte Marie

IBM
9 rue de Verdun
94253 - Gentilly cedex - FRANCE
Tel. +33 1 49 08 35 00
Fax +33 1 49 08 35 10

Compagnie IBM France
Siege Social : 17 avenue de l'Europe, 92275 Bois-Colombes Cedex
RCS Nanterre 552 118 465
Forme Sociale : S.A.S.
Capital Social : 611.451.766,20 ?
SIREN/SIRET : 552 118 465 03644