Re: Mozilla blog: DRM and the Challenge of Serving Users

On 2014-05-16 13:37 Gervase Markham wrote:
> On 16/05/14 12:27, cobaco wrote:
> > I don't, but the industry is making that increasingly hard by:
> >
> > - trying very hard to eliminate all the main-stream software choices that
> > allow me to do so
>
> Er, no. You will still be able to say No at the DRM prompt, and Firefox
> will work for you (you are a Firefox user, right? After all, it would be
> deeply embarrassing for you to berate us when you don't actually use our
> product and support us) just the way it did before.

yes I'm currently a user and advocate of firefox,
it now looks like that will be changing on both fronts

> > Not being dictator of the world that's the *only* thing I can do when I
> > see other people or organizations (like the W3C and Mozilla) fall of the
> > wagon and start doing what I consider harmful shit namely actively
> > supporting the misfeature called DRM
> >
> And we aren't dictators of the world either.

no, but you are making a choice and the choice you're making has you joining
the pro-DRM side in deed

> > (before you start: creating entirely new special purpose api's, sandbox
> > systems, and bodies of code is definitely in the category 'actively
> > supporting')

> Make sure you don't equivocate on the word "supporting". We support DRM
> technically, in that we are making it work. We don't support DRM
> ethically or politically.

You can't support DRM in practice without supporting it politically,
the world doesn't work that way
(actions make much louder statements then words do politically)

as the last of the mainstream browser makers to cave, the consequences of
Mozilla joining the pro-DRM side are huge politically, as it makes the contra-
DRM side extinct among mainstream browser-makers

That's doubly true because Mozilla is caving before the data is in,
we don't know yet whether Mozilla would've lost market share due to not
supporting EME, and now we never will

Mozilla has not lost the battle, it has avoided the war by bowing down before
oppressive industry demand before battle was joined.
For a supposed champion of the open web that is a deeply disappointing action,
and if this goes through I'll be looking for a new champion to support, and
advocate for
--
Cheers