Re: Cory Doctorow: W3C green-lights adding DRM to the Web's standards, says it's OK for your browser to say "I can't let you do that, Dave" [via Restricted Media Community Group]

On 2013-10-10 16:16 you wrote:
> On Oct 10, 2013, at 4:01 PM, cobaco <cobaco@freemen.be> wrote:
> > then why not simply stop looking for that endorsment?
> > i.e. stop trying to get this endorsed as a W3C standard
>
> You are equating two things which not the same. A standard can say 'if
> you do DRM on the web, we recommend you do it this way' without taking
> a position on whether or when you should 'do DRM on the web'.

it *could* indeed say 'do it this way' ... it just doesn't

the standard is but a shim shunting the actual DRM to a black box called a
CDM. There is no attempt to try to document let along standarize the working
of those CDM's, and it's been made abundandly clear that is not an oversight
but the way the industry wants it.

Consequently EME is a trojan horse and has no positive benifits to the open web

> I am only interested in the former, for rather boring, technical, user
> experience reasons. And I have nothing against general purpose
> computers, btw. You seem interested mainly in the latter, as part of
> an essentially political campaign, as far as I can tell.

the technical details are discussed elsewhere
(http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-media/ is what the spec lists
as forum for that)

those like me bringing up political/philosophical objections to EME as part of
W3C where explicitly pointed to this list. As industry representative you get
to hear our objections and try to adress them

> We want different things for different reasons, so I am left wondering
> whether there is a way forward ?

I've already listed the mininum requirements, I'll repeat them:
1) fully spec out the CDM's, this is needed to make a fully functional 3th
party implementation possible
2) commit to allowing 3th party CDM implementations to fully interact with
content

without both of those W3C would be making a fundamental shift
- from championing an open web where full interoperability is a simply a
matter of of implementing the specs
- to championing a closed web where full interoperability requires industry
approval, but it's still called an open web
--
Cheers