Re: I strongly urge all supporters to reconsider the EME proposal. It is not in your best interests!

On Mon, 2013-05-20 at 11:08 -0700, Mark Watson wrote:

> On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 10:53 AM, piranna@gmail.com
> <piranna@gmail.com> wrote:
>         > Un-spin welcomed. Actually, we're talking about replacing
>         one such system, plugins, with another with better properties.
>         With EME, websites will have far less control over users
>         browsers than we do today and the nature of the control will
>         be mediated via browser vendors and thus more transparent to
>         users.
>         >

>         Ok, if that's the point, EME is welcome to me, we only ask
>         please move it outside W3C, I think there shouldn't be any
>         problem in this point, is it?
>

> Can you explain why you think there will be a better outcome for users
> if EME is worked on outside W3C ?

The best outcome for users would be if EME is not worked on at all. But
given the fact that it actually lies on the interest of copyright
holders and content providers (not users nor browsers), it certainty
doesn't have any place inside W3C.

An "Open Web" organization is not a place where you would expect that
should make technical recommendations that benefit copyright-holder over
user rights.

--
Nikos Roussos
http://www.roussos.cc