Re: I strongly urge all supporters to reconsider the EME proposal. It is not in your best interests!

On Mon, 2013-05-20 at 12:03 -0700, Mark Watson wrote:

> On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 11:54 AM, B. Ross Ashley <brashley46@tfnet.ca>
> wrote:
>         On 13-05-20 11:49 AM, Mark Watson wrote:
>                 Are you claiming that the terms of service of some or
>                 all services
>                 that require DRM are illegal ? I would think that
>                 could be taken up in
>                 the courts.
>         Depending on the jurisdiction, they could be. Please do not
>         make the mistake of assuming copyright laws are or ought to be
>         uniform worldwide.
>

> Of course. My point was that what is or is not legal in a given
> country is something that service providers need to watch out for, not
> something we need to debate here.

Not just service providers. But also the browsers that would choose to
implement EME, giving to copyright-holders more power than they are
legally entitled to.

Just another reason why this is better to worked on outside of W3C.

--
Nikos Roussos
http://www.roussos.cc