Re: What change could we make? (was Re: Letter on DRM in HTML)

On Fri, 2013-06-21 at 02:42 -0400, Tim Berners-Lee wrote:
> Nikos's statement "... EME [...] contradicts with Open Web principles"
> is rousing but doesn't say which principles those are nor
> how they are necessarily contradicted.
>
> One principle of the open web is "anyone can publish",
> Can we design an EME system where that is true, and anyone can
> publish content using it?

Also "anyone can consume", regardless of "their hardware, software,
network infrastructure (...)"

So for start that's one principle of Open Web (and W3's own mission)
that EME is contradicting, since it seems that it will require users to
trust binary blobs from content providers in order to be functional.

Another principle that DRM contradicts is that it disregards consumer
rights. Quoting Norbert Bollow from a previous email: "rights that
people have as a matter of law as soon as they have legal access to a
digital good"

--
Nikos Roussos
http://roussos.cc