Re: What change could we make? (was Re: Letter on DRM in HTML)

On 2013-06 -20, at 23:15, Wendy Seltzer wrote:

> [..]
> This is, to me a key question the restrictedmedia group can address:
> What is the best way for W3C, starting from where we are now, to make
> the world better for users -- whatever your perspective on "better for
> users" is.
>
> For those who don't like DRM, recognizing that W3C likely doesn't have
> the leverage to kill it, should we try to slow it down or open it up?
> Are there ways we can usefully make the restrictions less onerous
> without merely driving their proponents elsewhere?
>
> For those who like the business models DRM enables, are there ways to
> make the encrypted-media content more web-accessible (linkable, privacy
> protective, accessible) and to shrink the restrictions on open source
> development, to broaden the base of support for these models?

Let me broaden that to -- how can we make it better for the planet?
This includes 'users' and also publishers.   Discussions of DRM often start
off with a mindset of a a few locked down dominant publishers
ripping off/being ripped off by individual consumers/citizens/criminals.

A more enlightened mindset is of everyone being producers and
consumers.  If DRM is important to a market, can we open it
up so that anyone can participate.

Remove the assumption that only one company holds the
key to DRM playing on your machine.

Allow a garage band to set up the same provider-based system as Sony
does?

Nikos's statement "... EME [...] contradicts with Open Web principles"
is rousing but doesn't say which principles those are nor
how they are necessarily contradicted.

One principle of the open web is "anyone can publish",
Can we design an EME system where that is true, and anyone can
publish content using it?

Suppose we put that into the requirements spec.

For example, if there is a corner of your machine it is hard to program,
 which helps you keep track of what you have paid for and what you haven't,
the private key it holds corresponds to a public key which any publisher can
be given? Or something?

Tim