Re: Is EME usable regardless of the software/hardware I use ?

On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 12:15 PM, Andreas Kuckartz <A.Kuckartz@ping.de>wrote:

> B. Ross Ashley:
> > On 13-06-10 09:20 AM, Emmanuel Revah wrote:
> >> EME/DRM is more comparable to an alarm designed to protect home owners
> >> against their own guests.
> > Actually, it is even more comparable to an alarm system to defend teh
> > guest against the houseowner! I am not on their machine, they are on
> mine.
>
> +1 (I intended to write the same.)
>
> The houseowner will not be allowed to find out what the alarm is really
> doing. It might be monitoring his house silently. Maybe on behalf of
> media rights owners, maybe on behalf of the NSA, maybe on behalf of both.

Extended analogies aside, what would be a good way to address this concern
? That is, how can we give the user the _option_ to _voluntarily_ accept
that certain restrictions be applied to certain data without opening the
door to the security and privacy concerns expressed above ?

Or, a meta question, what process would be good for exploring and answering
this question ?

...Mark