Re: Is EME usable regardless of the software/hardware I use ?

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 5, 2013, at 7:13 PM, "piranna@gmail.com" <piranna@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yeah, I agree, but we are now able to use our current hardware to see
> videos and listen music on the web, why should we need to do an
> "upgrade" of our hardware just to see EME-CDM enabled content?

You are just asking the same question again and again: 'Why do we need
DRM?'. The answer is that the owners of the content choose to license
their content with this requirement. That's just the product they
offer. Why do they do that ? You'll have to ask them, but there can be
no doubt that they do and little prospect that this will change soon.

> They
> don't offer any added value that would compensate the costs...

Well, the added value to the user is that they can access this content at all.

Whether there is added value more generally is a difficult question.
Clearly there is value (content is sold, revenue can be used to make
more content) and clearly there are costs, including the opportunity
cost of some things that might be easier if there was no DRM.

This whole discussion could be about whether these costs are higher
than the value or vice versa.

> And no, I don't consider to be able to play 4k videos as an "added
> value" since almost nobody will be able to notice the higher quality
> except with > 100" screens and also the raw CPU and GPU power will be
> able to decode it someday without problems, so don't need to add here
> any GPU based CDM.

That's ok, you don't need to buy 4k videos if you don't want to. The
SD and HD versions will still be available.

...Mark