Re: Is EME usable regardless of the software/hardware I use ?

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 5, 2013, at 3:58 PM, "piranna@gmail.com" <piranna@gmail.com> wrote:

Interesting point of view, really...

And regarding to consumers, where's their freedom? They would don't want to
have EME-CDM at all, but if the content they want is only accesible with it
or not offered on their country (something stupid since Internet is global)

On that one point, that the Internet is global makes little difference to
the economics of distributing content. For a service to launch in a given
country it first needs to obtain rights to distribute content in that
country. It could buy global rights, but that would be expensive given that
it also needs to do several other things on a per country basis:
- ensuring it has serving capacity (meaning physical servers in the right
places)
- hooking up to local payment systems,
- marketing
- internationalization, including subtitles and dubs which often have to be
obtained from parties others than the original content licensor.

These things are all expensive and so there is probably no company in the
world that could afford the risk of doing this globally in one shot. If you
did, some countries would likely perform worse than others and you have the
situation where consumers in the better performing countries (meaning the
ones with more subscribers) subsidising the rest.

So, the realities of running a business make this far more complex than
just turning off a geo-filter.

...Mark

they can't be able to choose... And the same happens if DRM techniquest
(EME-CDM included) are not legal on their countries and are forced to
accept them to access to the content. Where's their freedom, then?