Re: Is EME usable regardless of the software/hardware I use ?

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 5, 2013, at 1:47 PM, "piranna@gmail.com" <piranna@gmail.com> wrote:

>> http://www.w3.org/standards/agents/Overview.html
>> "We should be able to publish regardless of the software we use [...] We
>> should be able to access the web from any kind of hardware that can connect
>> to the Internet"
>>
>> I don't know if this is a policy but it is on the W3's website.
> I find it self explanatory... there shouldn't be hardware based
> limits, nor current or future, at least on the specification level
> (we'll left to the good and responsive web developers to make a WebGL
> based web page to be accessed by a braille TTY... At least the W3C
> standars offer the tools to make it feasable).

There are and always will be services on the web that require
particular software or hardware to fully function. As I have
mentioned, navigation apps require high accuracy positioning. Apps
that rely on gestures will require touchscreens. Videos require
suitable codecs. Some games require performant graphics or
accelerometers. Various bio-medical apps will require certain kinds of
sensor hardware etc. etc. If you don't have suitable hardware you may
get an inferior version of the app or you may not be able to use it at
all.

Indeed, if this were not the case then the web would be cut off from a
huge realm of innovation. Any app relying on a new hardware innovation
would be unable to deploy on the web until the necessary hardware was
ubiquitous. And the hardware only becomes ubiquitous once the app has
become successful, which would have to be as a native app.

Is it really what we want for the web to be a pure follower in this
way, only having access to new technologies after they have been
pioneered and proven in native apps ? What if there are apps which
only make sense with the combination of new hardware and the unique
properties of the web ? I suppose we can never have these.

...Mark