Re: What is the "open web" ?

Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com> wrote:

> Why? There's a trivial existence proof in the clear key CDM. I see no
> reason why there could not be others.
>
> As I said, whether and to whom such CDMs would be useful is a
> different question.

That “different question” however decides whether the inclusion of the
“clear key” mechanism is a mere distraction that is only aimed at
diffusing criticism (without solving any actual problem).

If the  “clear key” mechanism doesn't solve any real problem, it won't
be used in practice except perhaps by blackhats if some
implementations have security vulnerabilities. In that case the world
would definitely be a better place without that mechanism in the spec.

Greetings,
Norbert