Re: What is the "open web" ?

On 6/5/2013 5:39 AM, Andreas Kuckartz wrote:
> Jeff Jaffe:
>> On 6/5/2013 4:26 AM, Andreas Kuckartz wrote:
>>> Jeff Jaffe:

>>> CDMs which are relevant for the proponents of EME can not be
>>> implemented
>>> as Open Source. EME without such CDMs is useless for the intended
>>> purpose of EME. We should not discuss implementing useless software
>>> using Open Source licenses.
>>>
>>> It does not help if someone implements anything using an Open Source
>>> license when other legal restrictions (such as NDAs) prevent him or
>>> her
>>> from providing the source code to others without conditions in
>>> addition
>>> to those contained in the Open Source license. Such conditions might
>>> be
>>> legally compatible with some "liberal" Open Source licenses, but some
>>> conditions are not legally compatible with GPL3.
>> I believe you have made this point aptly numerous times in the
>> discussion group.
>>
>> But it is not what we are discussing here.
>>
>> The discussion here is a not a discussion of utility but a discussion
>> of formal license compatibility
> I tried to provide the clarification which you requested as best as I
> could. Do you have further questions?

No, I think it is pretty clear.

On the narrow license perspective EME can be implemented in open source
licenses.

Which does not mean it is a good idea, or compatible with freedom, or
anything else which of course is the main debate point.

> In any case: this Community Group is not only about formal legal
> license compatibilities and all licenses which have been mentioned are
> results of long discussions which not first of all concentrated on
> formal legal issues.

+1