Re: What is the "open web" ?

Le dim. 02/06/13, 16:29, Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com>:
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Jun 2, 2013, at 1:51 PM, Andreas Kuckartz <A.Kuckartz@ping.de> wrote:
>
> > Mark Watson:
> >> Sure. I meant that some people would like the W3C policy to refer to
> >> Free Open Source rather than just Open Source.
> >
> > The term "Free and Open Source Software" (FOSS) could or should be used
> > instead of Open Source. But that would not result in any practical
> > difference because all Free / Copyleft licenses are also Open Source
> > licenses.
>
> The converse is not true, though (IIUC).

I am not sure I understand what you mean. If we take the software
licenses as the metric to qualify what is Open Source and what is
Free Software, then surely the list of licenses held by

 - the Open Source Initiative
 - the Free Software Foundation

are authoritative lists.

If you take a look at their list, you will notice that except for
one exception on which they disagree (on a license of no
importance) their lists are exactly the same.

Open Source == Free Software.

(I suppose you are confusing with another type of distinction
among Free Software/Open Source licenses, and that is the
difference between copyleft and non-copyleft licenses).

> > More precise would be referring to the Open Source Definition
> > (http://opensource.org/docs/osd) and the list of OSI-approved licenses
> > (http://opensource.org/licenses).
>
> I understood that not all those licenses would qualify as 'FOSS'. Am I
> using the term FOSS incorrectly ?

Yes, this is incorrect. All those licenses would qualify as FOSS.

--
Hugo Roy | Free Software Foundation Europe, www.fsfe.org
FSFE Legal Team, Deputy Coordinator, www.fsfe.org/legal

Support Free Software, sign up! https://fsfe.org/support