Re: "Revealed: how Microsoft handed the NSA access to encrypted messages"

Karl Dubost <karl@la-grange.net> wrote:

> How much I dislike both
> * DRM/EME
> * The spying going on citizens
>
> I would like we avoid to mix things which are slightly orthogonal for
> their application domains. Yes closed softwares are an opportunity
> for abusing the trust of users, but that is intrinsically true of all
> closed softwares for ANY W3C or other standards organizations
> specifications.

The key distinction is that the EME spec has the property than in
practice, if you want to partake in what the spec is intended to
enable, you will have to use closed software that comes from a company
that you may not trust.

By contrast most standards, including so far all of W3C's
recommendations, do not have that problem. There you always have the
freedom to make your own choice about whom you want to trust, and the
truly paranoid can even hire someone to do a professional source code
base security audit first.

Greetings,
Norbert