Re: walling of the web

On 7/2/2013 5:16 AM, Gervase Markham wrote:
> On 02/07/13 05:30, Jeff Jaffe wrote:
>> Recently, for example, I proposed that we work together on an open
>> source, breakable CDM.  That did not find much traction on this list.
> If you were able to get some indication from those who wish to use the
> system for their content (say, one of the major Hollywood studios) that
> they would be interested in providing it using such a CDM, that might
> generate more enthusiasm.
>
> No-one wants to work on code which no-one will use - particularly if
> that non-use seems highly self-evident.
>
> (And this is without considering the legal issues which there may be in
> implementing a DRM system.)

I suspect there is a bit of a chicken-and-egg problem.

Some might be willing to use open source DRM if they felt it would be
more acceptable to customers.  But DRM opponents have not indicated any
interest.

Similarly, DRM opponents might find it acceptable if content providers
would offer content protected with open source DRM.  But such content
owners have not offered that option.