Re: Netflix HTML5 player in IE 11 on Windows 8.1

On 7/6/2013 11:20 PM, David Singer wrote:
> On Jul 5, 2013, at 17:56 , Duncan Bayne <dhgbayne@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>
>>> Perhaps we've noticed this issue too late; perhaps if we had been more
>>> active in the W3C *before* we heard of the EME proposal through the
>>> media, we might have had an opportunity to debate the more fundamental
>>> issues (such as, whether the W3C should be working on DRM at all).
>> In fact, here's a serious question about this: at what point would it
>> have not been too late?
>>
>> If I (or the EFF) had wanted to put our oar in and do some "stopping" -
>> i.e., actually debate the fundamental issues rather than the
>> implementation - when *could* we have acted?
>>
>> Please forgive my relative ignorance of W3C processes, but it's not at
>> all clear to me how that might have happened.  I'd certainly like to
>> know, for next time if nothing else.
>
> I'll give you one point:  'stopping' something is much harder than offering a better alternative.
>
> In general, saying "I don't like X" doesn't carry much weight in any body I know.  "I think Y is a better solution for the following reasons" gets a whole lot more traction.

Well said, David.

Or here is another way to point out the same thing.

W3C at this point has not accepted the EME spec.  It is a draft
specification of a Working Group, that has not yet received Director
approval.

W3C has said that the requirement is in-scope for the Working Group.

We have regularly (on this list) invited folks to propose better
solutions to the Working Group.