Re: Netflix HTML5 player in IE 11 on Windows 8.1

On Jul 6, 2013, at 22:43 , Duncan Bayne <dhgbayne@fastmail.fm> wrote:

>> Should the web be restricted to media that is unprotected, or not?
>> That's a debatable point, for sure.  I think that is a poor choice, in
>> that it relegates the web to only referencing what the owners feel is
>> 'low value' content.
>
> You're begging the question, there.  Many content owners have chosen to
> release their high-value content without DRM; you're assuming that will
> be true for all providers, for all time.
>
> Also, whether or not the W3C endorses EME is moot; browser implementors
> are building it now (and, note, hooking it to hardware-implemented DRM -
> the very antithesis of the open web).
>
>> If we could keep our principles pure and the high-value content
>> web-accessible, we'd all be happy; but we don't currently see how to do
>> that.
>
> Could you please define 'web-accessible'?

I mean embedded in web pages that are part of the open web, so that, for example, URLs can reference those pages.  This is in contrast to both walled gardens (private networks), or custom applications used to access content.  In neither case can the open web reference the pages.

David Singer