Invalid acceptance of DRM requirement (was Re: walling of the web)

On Monday, Mon, 2013/07/01, Jeff Jaffe wrote:
> The reasons why the Director accepted the requirement are outlined in my
> blog post on this subject.  I understand that many in the Free Software
> community do not view this as valid.  So on this point apparently we
> will disagree.

that blog post would be [1] if I'm reading the right thing?

right, starting from that post....

1) "Different publishers use the Web differently, some choosing to make
content available free of charge, others preferring to control access."

access control is determining _who_ gets to see the page,
usage control is limiting _how_ they can see it.

EME and CDM's are about usage control, not access control.

The problem is not with publishers charging for access (that does not need
DRM, see for instance the New York Times or Washington Post paywall)

The problem is with their demand to control which devices/software can and
cannot be used to access the 'protected' content, i.e. with their demand to
control _our_ machines and software.

2) "The key objective [of W3C] is to maximize interoperability and openness
The key objective is to maximize interoperability and openness - values that
have served us well"

How do you figure DRM squares with that?

DRM limits interoperability to 'authorised' devices/software, and
deliberately closes it to everyone else.

This introduces a gatekeeper for clientside development where there was none
before. (The historical parallel is Ma Bell deciding which machines you
where allowed to connect to the telephone wire inside your house, it was
anti-social hubris then, it's still anti-social hubris now)

Note that DRM poses the exact same problems as non-royalty free patents.
For DRM the empowering factor is technical and not legal, but the result in
both cases is a gatekeeper that gets to decide which implementations are
blessed/allowed for actual use.

Gatekeeper control is not compatible with the open web (hence W3C's royalty
free requirement at [4])

The issues of FLOSS with implementing DRM are simply the most obvious
consequence of that gatekeeper control. They're not the actual root issue.

3) "Once a Working Group has been chartered with a particular scope"

What's missing is the reasoning that establishes DRM as a valid charter.

Both your post and the director's mail you link to [2] basically boil down
to: "this was requested bij the Web and TV Interest Group and we accepted
that without further justification"

Why is gatekeeper control over implementations of a standard acceptable to
the W3C when done through technologic means (CDM's) and not when done
through legal means (patents)?

This is inconsistent and contradictory.

3) "despite broad agreement that some form of content protection is needed
for the Web"

What makes you think there is broad agreement that some form of content
protection is needed?

AFAICT It's basically only Big Content that wants it, while everyone else
quite explicitly doesn't (as it makes their life more difficult)

The available facts quite clearly show that there is a never before seen
wealth of published content in the absence of those 'protections'.

The amount of content produced collectively by individuals dwarfs the
content of the traditional gatekeepers (yes most of it is crap, but so is
the umpteenth remake of batman, yet another B-movie, or another cookie
cutter popstar that can't sing)

How do you figure this translates to 'broad concencus that content protection
is needed'?

4) "he W3C Director has established [2] that work on content protection for
the Web is in scope for the HTML Working Group."

That linked mail has a blatant dictorial declaration that 'this is in scope
of the working group'.

The reasoning behind that declaration is completely missing. The opposition
on the other hand has stated numerous reasons.

As such it doesn't establish anything about DRM being a valid scope.
It simply opens W3C to charges of being bought (or otherwise corrupted).

5) "Without content protection, owners of premium video content - driven by
both their economic goals and their responsibilities to others - will simply
deprive the Open Web of key content. Therefore, while the actual DRM schemes
are clearly not open, the Open Web must accommodate them as best possible"

I've already pointed out that Big Content is not in a position to 'deprive
the open web of key content'.
Piracy is a fact of life on the Internet, that content is available with or
without their cooperation.

In point of fact a lot of content is _only_ available via piracy to much of
the population (due to region locks on official big content sites, due to bad
technical implemenations excluding alternative platforms, or due to complete
non-availability of older/less popular content through official channels)

Therefore the point that 'the open web must accomodate them' is quite
obviously untrue: the open web is doing just fine without that accomodation,
there's no reason I know of to believe that will magically change.

Since the required accomodaton requires accepting DRM (and thus accepting
gatekeeper control of clientside development), W3C should tell big content
to go take a hike.

6) "A situation where premium content is relegated to applications
inaccessible to the Open Web or completely locked down devices would be far
worse for all."

Given that the stated purpose of DRM is to lock down devices/software, how
do you square that with your support for DRM?

[1] http://www.w3.org/QA/2013/05/perspectives_on_encrypted_medi.html
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-admin/2013Feb/0122.html
[3] https://www.youtube.com/yt/press/nl/statistics.html
[4] http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Patent-Policy-20040205/#def-RF