Re: [webp2p] Internet.org

Duncan Bayne <dhgbayne@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> > Clean drinking water should be a human right as internet access
>
> Actually, neither should, because they're both prescriptive.

Are you aware that you're advocating to give up a significant
part of the internationally recognized human rights?

> If you make something that has to be provided (e.g. a good or
> service) a human right, you're implying that someone else must be
> forced to provide it, should no-one volunteer.

No. It means that if the existing mechanisms of society fail to provide
it, government have the responsibility to take action, within the
constraints of what they're able to do, to try to solve the problem.

In my opinion, the measures that governments should undertake to
address this kind of problems should always include the implementation
of an effective anti-proverty strategy, so that the people will be able
to afford the cost of clean drinking water and Internet access and
everything else that is necessary in today's world for being able to
enjoy one's human rights.

But this is badly off-topic for the public-restrictedmedia@w3.org
mailing list. I suggest to end this thread at this point. (As far as
I'm concerned you can have the last word if you wish, but I'm not
planning to respond any further.)

Greetings,
Norbert