Re: On considering digital copies as physical things...

El 21/08/13 21:46, Mark Watson escribió:

> On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 12:05 PM, Mhyst <mhysterio@gmail.com
> <mailto:mhysterio@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     If we are going to conffer some properties from physical things to
>     digital copies... we should think about user rights as well. I mean...
>     when you own a book you can read and lend it to a friend. The "free"
>     market is been trying to give magic things (like digital copies) some
>     characteristics of physical things while denying others. They've
>     created laws with the sole purpose of making money on digital copies
>     but blatantly forgetting about other consequences of physical things.
>     So... well, OK let's do EME. But first let's equiparate the two
>     concepts with all their characteristics and derivations (not just the
>     ones convenient for the market).
>
>     If you get such a law working worldwide in a fair and open way, We'll
>     let EME exists on HTML standard.
>

> Julio,
>
> With respect, that seems a bit backwards. W3C as an (unelected)
> technical standards development organization is in no position to
> second-guess democratically established laws, whether you feel they
> are fair or not. Nor are we really in a position to opine on
> contraversial legal matters at all.

Companies arent elected either, but that doesn't prevent them from
lobbying and pressing to cast the laws to the needs of their markets. We
astechnicians have more legitimacy to do that. DVD region restrictions
is to me more backwards that what I suggested.