Re: Picture Element Explanation.

Hi Jason,

My comments are below:

On Thu, Mar 5, 2015 at 10:30 AM, Jason Grigsby <jason@cloudfour.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 5, 2015 at 6:56 AM, Paul Deschamps <pdescham49@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> If performance is the main concern in lieu of breaking the separation of
>> presentation from content then let's look at that. What are the measurable
>> gains here? Show me the code.
>>

> No. You should do the work.

Alright - If no one is willing to bring some examples and metrics to the
table I suppose I will have to. Although surely someone has done this
already no? I can't be the only one..

> In Bruce's article, he quotes Steve Souders as saying that the preloader
> is the "the single biggest performance improvement browsers have ever made".
>
> In the link I provided, Andy Davies talks about how Google saw a 20% and
> Firefox a 19% increase in average page speed after implementing the
> preloader.
>
> A couple years ago[1], I questioned whether the power of the preloader was
> worth all of the problems it caused in finding solutions to responsive
> images. I learned two things at that time:
>
> 1) the people who know this stuff really well—the people who build the
> rendering engines—feel strongly that it does and
> 2) trying to get browser makers to support solutions that undermine the
> preloader was tilting at windmills
>
> I'm not going to waste my time proving what is well documented and that
> people who know the bowels of browser rendering engines tell us to be fact.

The evolution of technology is not about "fact" it's all about challenging
what it is the current standard and pushing it forward. for better and
sometimes for worse;  always in motion.

It it wasn't we'd all be still using image map's and tables for layout and
trying to make them responsive.. ;)

> You can't come in at the end of a four year process and demand everyone
> justify themselves. Or I guess you can, but good luck with that.

Actually to be honest I would have loved to had been involved in
discussions at the early stages.. Unfortunately I wasn't at the table back
then; sadly no one invited me :( perhaps I'll stick around a while.
I can't help but feel there's a little emotional investment here with this
last statement; I am sorry if I have offended you in some way. One thing
I've learned long ago is to keep the personal investment of your own work
out of your projects.. Especially in Open Source development you don't own
it; everyone does and it makes the project better.

I am not here to "Poo-poo" on this... I want nothing to do with that line;
evolution is the key part of any tech. I just want to poke the stick a bit
and make things better if it's possible.
and I hope that you all are open to the ideas  that is all.

> If you believe in the superiority of your viewpoint, then you need to
> instrument it and prove it. If you're right, awesome.
>
> [1] http://blog.cloudfour.com/the-real-conflict-behind-picture-and-srcset/

I don't believe in any superiority viewpoint - this is a collaborative
discussion with all things being equal;  just a brain storm with some
ideas.

Thank you for your time Jason.

Paul.