Re: Feedback on Responsive Images Extension

From: Andy Davies <dajdavies@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2012 00:24:26 +0100
To: Mathew Marquis <mat@matmarquis.com>
Cc: Anselm Hannemann <info@anselm-hannemann.com>, Brett Jankord <bjankord@gmail.com>, Andrew Kirkpatrick <akirkpat@adobe.com>, "public-respimg@w3.org" <public-respimg@w3.org>
On 4 September 2012 23:40, Mathew Marquis <mat@matmarquis.com> wrote:

> One could make a case that an image not essential to every browsing context may well be presentational in nature, and should be handled through CSS. Else, in the case of strictly *content* images, that markup should likely be injected/removed or shown/hidden through JavaScript by way of matchMedia — alternately, that markup could be omitted entirely based on server-side device detection.
>
> I wouldn’t want to encourage inherently "null" markup with regards to images any more than I would encourage a solution for serving "null" text — which is to say, the "null" case is best represented by the absence of said markup altogether. A native solution for controlling the *presence* of markup based purely on client capabilities is a larger conversation, and very likely one worth having. I don’t feel this is best solved on an element-by-element basis, however.

Consider a news site with a list of stories... at larger viewports
they may want a relevant image alongside each story in the list, and
smaller viewports they many only want the top story to have a
supporting picture.

The news site could start from a mobile first approach and use
something like AJAX Include pull the images in at larger viewports but
if I was writing it and I couldn't have null declarations, I'd
probably use a 1x1 transparent image and display:none as it achieves
the same outcome but with a lot less code and is probably easier to
read (OK so there's wasted request but could use a datauri instead).

Tab Atkins CAS ideas may be starting point for controlling the
presence of markup based on client capabilities

Cheers

Andy