Re: Mobile first vs desktop first

Excellent summary Mat.

What I would add from my experience is that it depends on the current stage of the project.

I've used the desktop first approach on sites I have to retrofit in to a small screen version of the site without touching the desktop version too much. This approach usually takes almost as long as creating a new version from scratch since you overwrite/remove what's already implemented. When everything is served in the same stylesheet this approach add a lot of duplicity to the styling.

When it comes to the issue at hand, serving the mobile version of an image as the fallback/default image might be the wrong approach. In my opinion the best fallback might be the medium size image. The reason for not serving the smallest size image as the default is that the browser that require the smaller sizes usually is smartphones with very modern browsers. They would get the appropriate image from either browser support or a pollyfill.

--
Kenneth Dahlstrøm