Re: simplerdf & Towards the future RDF library

On 12.09.15 22:44, Ruben Verborgh wrote:

Hi Ruben,

> Note that everything I do under https://github.com/RubenVerborgh
> is done in my spare time as well. This includes N3.js and SPARQL.js.
> I use these libraries heavily in my research, but they are my personal work.

holy cow, respect for that!

> To clarify what I was exactly saying:
>
> 1) We need an RDF library for JS, like Java has Jena.

I agree that this would surely help, especially as the RDF community is
not super big yet in the JS world. The more we work together, the
better. But at the same time it's not easy to get there with the
different backgrounds and requirements we have so requirement
engineering upfront is crucial. And this can't be done by just one
person/group when we want to provide something useful for all of us.

> 2) We need a team to develop such a library.
> The team should decide together about architecture.

ok that fits with what I just wrote before.

> 3) RDF-Ext might be a good match,
> but they might or might not like a team deciding about their architecture
> (and I fully understand either way).

so "they" is me and Thomas for the moment for a big part. Me thinking
out loud and Thomas implementing something that works. And I think we
are both open to such discussions.

> 4) One of the core things we need to look at when developing a library
> is internal and external representations of triples.
> This will determine everything and we cannot easily cahnge.

agree on that

> 5) I gladly stop developing N3.js as a separate library
> and continue it as part of a bigger library developed by a team;
> but then I really want 4) solved first.

ok that would make sense. Adding other parsers to whatever structure we
define sounds doable.

> Glad to hear that.
> I'm not saying RDF Interfaces is bad;
> it would just be good to have it up for discussion.

As mentioned in my other mail I think it's one of the first discussions
we need to have.

> In particular, we should have something native to RDF and JavaScript.
> And Nicola's simplerdf really sparked my interest.
> Furthermore, we should benchmark decisions to be sure what we do.

fine with me as an approach

regards

Adrian

--