Re: simplerdf & Towards the future RDF library

On 12 September 2015 at 22:44, Ruben Verborgh <ruben.verborgh@ugent.be>
wrote:

> HI Adrian,
>
> > I totally see where Ruben wants to go with LD Fragments but that's where
> > I start to have my issues. My current use cases are not really connected
> > to what Ruben does (LD Fragments perspective I mean)
>
> Just a quick remark here:
> what we're doing with Linked Data Fragments
> would very likely not have a place in any core RDF library.
>
> Quite the contrary, I see the Linked Data Fragments library
> as one of the primary users of such a core RDF library.
> It's now already a primary user of N3.js,
> but we need quite a bit more than that actually.
>
> > This brings me to another thing: It's great that some people on this
> > list can spend a lot of time bootstrapping important bits and pieces
> > payed as research. For me and Thomas (partially, he does a hell lot of
> > work in sparetime) this is not the case.
>
> I understand.
> Note that everything I do under https://github.com/RubenVerborgh
> is done in my spare time as well. This includes N3.js and SPARQL.js.
> I use these libraries heavily in my research, but they are my personal
> work.
>
> The LDF code, on the other hand, is made in research time.
> (Actually, most of it is still done on evenings and in weekends.)
>
> > I think what Ruben actually asks is do we really want to
> > have something like RDF Interfaces as a foundation.
>
> To clarify what I was exactly saying:
>
> 1) We need an RDF library for JS, like Java has Jena.
>
> 2) We need a team to develop such a library.
> The team should decide together about architecture.
>
> 3) RDF-Ext might be a good match,
> but they might or might not like a team deciding about their architecture
> (and I fully understand either way).
>
> 4) One of the core things we need to look at when developing a library
> is internal and external representations of triples.
> This will determine everything and we cannot easily cahnge.

Triples or quads?

Isnt this already quite well defined?  Or do you mean efficient memory
storage in JS for indexing etc.?

> 5) I gladly stop developing N3.js as a separate library
> and continue it as part of a bigger library developed by a team;
> but then I really want 4) solved first.
>
> > I personally don't think that RDF Interfaces is that important anymore.
>
> Glad to hear that.
> I'm not saying RDF Interfaces is bad;
> it would just be good to have it up for discussion.

RDF Interfaces and RDF Ext has been up for discussion for many years.  It's
not set in stone, but at the same time, not changed a lot.