The long road ahead

From: Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 09:50:26 -0400
To: RDFa Discussion <public-rdfa@w3.org>, Dan Brickley <danbri@google.com>, Charles McCathie Nevile <chaals@yandex-team.ru>
Hey Dan, Chaals,

I wanted to point out this thread on G+ about schema.org and how regular
Web developers view what schema.org's preferences are wrt. RDFa Lite:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/106943062990152739506/posts/aeBhzwBoa2q

It was triggered by a blog post I did yesterday:

http://manu.sporny.org/2013/microdata-downward-spiral/

I know I keep harping on this, but it doesn't make it any less true:

Web developers are going to use whatever the search engines tell them to
use, and right now the message is clear: Use Microdata.

Unfortunately, all of the fears I had about how schema.org was being
built have now come to pass... the idea that Microdata is the only
choice for schema.org is locked into many Web devs minds, and it's going
to be very, very hard to undo the damage:

http://manu.sporny.org/2011/false-choice/

If you guys truly want to have a level playing field here, update the
docs, add RDFa examples. We've offered countless times to help
accelerate this process if you guys would just open the site up for
public contribution via source control - please put the site on github -
we'll help do these long overdue updates.

-- manu

Founder/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.
http://blog.meritora.com/launch/