Re: RDFa, FUD and ethics

Hi,

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 3:37 AM, Sergey Chernyshev
<sergey.chernyshev@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't think CC license by default is a good idea - no license was
> always a default for content on the web and making this decision for
> content creator is not a fair.
>
> Drupal is not a MediaWiki where model is collaborative by default
> either and even there there you have to pick a license.

My suggestion was exactly that Drupal *should* provide the facility
for its users to pick a license/waiver for the data they publish (and
that an open licenses like CC0 or PDDL should be at the top of the
list).
I think the core issue here is data reuse, not markup formats.  RDFa
makes it easier for the data to be parsed, but doesn't automatically
grant permission for it to be reused. Attaching a license or waiver
lets the data publisher say if and how they allow their data to be
reused.

It is important to make the distinction between *content* and *data*.
I imagine that for forums, blogs, sites providing public information,
e-commerce sites, and suchlike, it would usually be advantageous for
their *data* to reused/syndicated as widely as possible. In which
case, a CC0 license would be appropriate (this is a license designed
for data, whereas CC is designed for creative works). This does NOT
mean that their *content* is CC.

A photographer may want the data about her photos (title, description,
subject matter, creator, etc)  to be completely free for reuse, to
give people the best chance of finding her images, but at the same
time retain full copyright over them so she can sell them to
interested parties that have found them via the data she published.

(sorry if this was a bit long-winded, and not very RDFa-related)

cheers,
Keith