Re: RDFa and Web Directions North 2009

Le 14 févr. 2009 à 07:39, Ian Hickson a écrit :
> I didn't come up with the example above, I based it purely on the
> example
> that was being put forward as to why RDFa was a solution.
>
> How would RDF solve this ambiguity problem? As a user, what query
> would I
> put into my user agent to find out "what python"? Why would it work
> better
> with RDF than with natural language processing?

I love natural language processing too. It is useful, though it
doesn't solve everything (except maybe in an English centric world.)

où Napoleon
http://www.google.com/search?hl=fr&client=safari&rls=fr-fr&q=où+napoleon&btnG=Rechercher&lr
=

どこ ナポレオン
http://www.google.com/search?hl=fr&client=safari&rls=fr-fr&q=どこ
ナポレオン&btnG=Rechercher&lr=

Or maybe I was just talking about Napoleon in the Marcel Pagnol's novel.

> Why is that a better solution than just having the user say "no, I
> meant
> the animal"?:
>
>   http://www.google.com/search?q=what+python+animal

You are giving the answer in your question.
"What is a python?"… the possible answers

* an animal?
* a group of movie directors?
* a programming language?

Now in French

"Qu'est-ce qu'un python ?"
http://www.google.com/search?hl=fr&client=safari&rls=fr-fr&q=Qu%27est-ce+qu%27un+python+%3F&btnG=Rechercher&lr=

And with your choice of putting the answer
Qu'est-ce qu'un python ? animal
http://www.google.com/search?hl=fr&client=safari&rls=fr-fr&q=Qu%27est-ce+qu%27un+python+%3F+animal&btnG=Rechercher&lr=

Note that here we are in plain rhetorical exercise. Having more
structured data in a Web page helps to create application on top of
others for people who need it. It is entirely possible that Ian
Hickson doesn't need it. No issue with that. I very rarely use
javascript myself or cookies, but I do understand some people need it.

--
Karl Dubost
Montréal, QC, Canada