Re: RDFa Trials and Travails ...

Steve Williams wrote:
>> http://playtheweb.org/2008/09/24/rdfa-trials-and-travails/
>
> That pretty much describes what I'm feeling as I try to add more RDFa to
> Digg.

Unfortunately, they haven't approved a comment I made to that story
explaining some of the issues with the post... some of the complaints
are legitimate, some of them, not so much. Sadly, I didn't save the text
of the post - hopefully, they will approve it soon.

> The complexity of RDFa keeps pushing me back toward Microformats, but I
> sense that RDFa enables different things from Microformats.  Again, my
> example is SearchMonkey: Yahoo!'s crawler can index any RDFa, whether
> Dublin Core or my own custom vocabulary.  But they can only index formal
> microformats, because custom microformats are indistinguishable from
> ordinary mark-up.
>
> In other words, if I must add custom metadata, RDFa lets me use it in a
> third-party tool with no prearrangement.  The same isn't possible with
> Microformats, which would require me to lobby with Yahoo! (and every
> other toolmaker) to recognize this or that Microformat candidate I dream
> up.
>
> Do I have that right?

Yes, absolutely correct.

-- manu

PS: I'm working on a full XHTML+RDFa markup example for Digg (SIOC,
    FOAF, DC, etc.) - but it's being slowed down by other fires at the
    moment. :)

--
Manu Sporny
President/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.