Re: Subtle namespace difference with RDFa+HTML5 for XML Literals...

Good timing; I hit this problem just last night.

On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 6:11 PM, Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org> wrote:
> [snip]
>
> On Mar 9, 2012, at 17:52 , Gregg Kellogg wrote:
>>
>> Have I mentioned that I hate XMLLiterals?
>
> Welcome in the club:-)

I have a thing or two to say about the DOM API calls needed to create them.. ;)

>>> We can create a separate test for HTML5+RDFa, doing the same but with a different SPARQL. On the other hand, in view of the controversial nature of the xmlns usage in HTML5, I would probably be o.k. to remove it from the HTML5 branch altogether.
>>
>> This is really where an HTMLLiteral would make sense, and use that for HTML5 instead of XMLLiteral.
>
> Correct.
>
>> As I understand it, polyglot markup, where xmlns would be appropriate, would only make sense for XHTML5, not HTML5. I'd suggest we remove HTML5 (and HTML4, I suppose) from anything using xml:lang or xmlns (with the exception of the stated use of xml:lang as a namespace-less attribute, which I'd rather see go away from HTML5+RDFa).
>
> See my previous mail. This may remove way too much, we should be careful about this. For the time being I think removing the XML Literal version from HTML{4,5} makes sense.

Sounds good to me.

>> If work is ever done on HTMLLiteral (RDF WG?), then we could include this for HTML5, and it would probably be appropriate for XHTML varieties as well).
>>
>>> I am not sure about XHTML5. Does the namespace appears for that one? If so, it is fine to have it for that one...
>>
>> Being XML, I believe that xmlns is appropriate).
>>

> Does XHTML5 use the same namespace URI?

I believe that a root element in XHTML5 has to have
@xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml". See e.g. [1]. (I'm not sure
where this is officially defined, but it seems implied in [2].) AFAIK
there is no implicit #FIXED @xmlns in XHTML5 though, as there is in
XHTML 1, via the doctype DTD. If I understand things correctly, the
HTML5 doctype doesn't denote any DTD, so an XML parser can't add it.
Therefore, we must probably have this explicit @xmlns in all XHTML5
tests.

Best regards,
Niklas