Re: @itemref functionality wrt itemtype context

Gregg (etc)

On 3 Sep 2011, at 00:13, Gregg Kellogg wrote:
> As @itemref is not universally appreciated, and causes a many issues for SAX-based implementations, we discussed possible alternatives. For example, if @about where to take a list of IRIs, rather than just a single IRI, you might have the following:

>    by <span property="author">John Doe</span>
>  <footer about="_:m _:b">
>      <a rel="license" href="http://www.opensource.org/licenses/mit-license.php">
>        MIT license
>      </a>.
>  </footer>

I agree that the multi-valued about attribute is a way of addressing most of the use cases that led to itemref in microdata which fits quite naturally with RDFa's existing processing.

FWIW, the one thing that I'd point out as a disadvantage to this approach for a publisher is that it means that when the common content (the information about the license of the page) is generated, the code needs to have knowledge of the content of the page.

So the above couldn't be generated by a footer generated by a static template, for example. Conversely, if the pointers go the other way -- items in the body of the page referencing common things in the static content, as in itemref -- that's a lot easier to generate.

I've CCed Lin because she'd mentioned the use of itemref within Drupal, and it would be good to have her thoughts on whether this pattern might work based on that experience.

Cheers,

Jeni
--
Jeni Tennison