Re: Attempt for a List specification in RDFa (ISSUE-106)

Gregg,

On 31 Aug 2011, at 23:40, Gregg Kellogg wrote:
> Secondly, we don't seem to have a way to have a list containing lists. This could be supported by having both @collection and @member on the same element, which would change the algorithm to continue processing the child elements to create a list which becomes a member of the parent list. For example:
>
> <li about="http://www.worldcatlibraries.org/isbn/9780262912423"   typeof="bibo:Book">
> </li>
>
> could then create:
>
> <http://www.worldcatlibraries.org/isbn/9780262912423> dc:creator (("Grigoris Antoniou", "Frank van Harmelen")).
>
> I think this would allow us to represent any type of collection that could be represented in Turtle, and would allow a simple representation for simple lists.

I hate to ask this kind of question, because I know how annoying it is, but do you have an actual example in mind for when lists of lists would be useful, or is it just for completeness sake?

From the perspective of trying to narrow the gaps between microdata and RDFa, introducing a capability to RDFa to do lists-within-lists but not having the same capability in microdata is almost as bad as the current situation where microdata can support ordered content and RDFa can't.

The best outcome from that perspective would be if either they both only supported (easily) flat lists, or both supported nested lists. The only chance of getting a change into microdata to supported nested lists is if there's a good use case for them. I'm happy to make the argument for them but I'll need some ammunition.

Thanks,

Jeni
--
Jeni Tennison