Re: Review of latest RDFa Core 1.1

From: Shane McCarron <shane@aptest.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2011 07:28:59 -0600
To: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
CC: Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>, RDFa WG <public-rdfa-wg@w3.org>

On 3/6/2011 2:48 AM, Ivan Herman wrote:

> Wow, we have to be careful. If we do not say left-to-right, then this means an RDFa processor will have to adapt itself to the document language. Let alone the fact that I am not even sure what top-down would mean. Even a Japanese HTML file is written in left-to-right as far as the element tags etc are concerned. I think such a change in wording would do much more harm than good!

This is actually *why* you use terms like 'document order' or 'beginning
to end' rather than 'left to right'.  Because regardless of the
directionality of the character set / encoding of a document, a document
always has an order, and it always has a beginning, and that order is
well understood.  I am pretty sure that the 'beginning to end' text is
something we were handed by the I18N Working Group back in the day.  I
am going to stick with it unless someone from that group tells me to use
something else.  Or unless Steven has a different recollection.  Steven?