Re: Allow a prefix in the vocab attribute?

On 06/24/2011 05:55 PM, Stéphane Corlosquet wrote:
> As far as I can tell from the current spec, @vocab is expected to be a
> URI. If a prefix was allowed, it would allow for shorter RDFa snippets
> when combined with the RDFa core default profile [1].
>
> The following snippet taken from the RDFa 1.1 spec:

>    My name is <span property="name">John Doe</span> and my blog is called
>    <a rel="homepage" href="http://example.org/blog/">Understanding
> Semantics</a>.
>
> could be rewritten:

>    My name is <span property="name">John Doe</span> and my blog is called
>    <a rel="homepage" href="http://example.org/blog/">Understanding
> Semantics</a>.
>
> Is there a technical reason why @vocab was only allowed to be a URI?

I don't think we ever considered having a CURIE in @vocab. If we did, I
don't remember the discussion.

If we have a "Basic" RDFa profile, we may not want to support CURIEs in
@vocab. There is the simplicity argument as well - making RDFa any more
complex than it already is must have a very strong return on the
additional functionality.

It would be /neat/ to be able to express CURIEs in @vocab, but is it
necessary? Do we think that it will help uptake of the language? What
are the use cases that absolutely need it that the other mechanisms
don't cover?

President/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.
blog: PaySwarm Developer Tools and Demo Released
http://digitalbazaar.com/2011/05/05/payswarm-sandbox/