Re: Abstracts of each of the APIs

On Apr 29, 2011, at 17:03 , Benjamin Adrian wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In order to distinguish between the three APIs,
> I collected the current proposals of abstracts:
>

> RDFa API
> that is both human- and machine-readable. Concepts that have
> traditionally been difficult for machines to detect, like people,
> places, events, music, movies,  and recipes, are now easily marked up in
> Web documents. While publishing this data is vital to the growth of <a
> href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linked_data">Linked Data</a>, using
> the information to improve the collective utility of the Web for
> humankind is the true goal. To accomplish this goal, it must be simple
> for Web developers to extract and utilize structured information from a
> Web document. This document details such a mechanism; an RDFa
> Application Programming Interface (RDFa API) that allows simple
> extraction and usage of structured information from a Web document.</p>

Without going into the linguistic niceties (I leave that to our anglo-saxon friends) I am o.k. with this. I would probably write Semantic Web instead of Linked Data; referring to such a nebulous concept (and a wikipedia page) from a Recommendation is probably not the right way to do it. Also, 'using the information to improve the collective utility of the Web for humankind is the true goal' is also a little bit over the top for a Recommendation:-) But again, this is a matter of style.

> RDF API
> information providers to attach general metadata to published web
> resources. This metadata intends to be machine-interpretable so that web
> developers can access it by programming languages in order to create
> applications for i.e., crawling, aggregating, summarizing, or
> highlighting contained information. While publishing RDF data on the web
> is vital to the growth of <a
> href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linked_data">Linked Data</a>, using
> the information to improve the collective utility of the Web for
> humankind is the true goal. To accomplish this goal, the RDF Application
> Programming Interface (RDF API) defines a set of standardized interfaces
> for working with RDF data in a web-based programming environment.</p>

I am less o.k. with that one: the emphasis on metadata is not the right one. First of all, what is metadata: your metadata is my data:-) But, more seriously, I think the emphasis is that "RDF enables providers to publish various types of data on the Web in a unified format. This data intends to be machine-interpretable....." etc And of course the same remark on wikipedia and humanity as before:-)

> RDF Interfaces
> developers a portable representation of information on the Web. Although
> a huge number of programming libraries exists that support developers to
> deal with RDF, a standardized specification of RDF concepts is still
> missing for web-based programming languages especially in ECMAScript.
> The RDF Interfaces define a set of standardized data structures for
> programming with RDF concepts in a web developement environment.</p>

Yep

Ivan