Re: Default profile change frequency

On Fri, April 1, 2011 4:49 pm, Simon Reinhardt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is a reply to Ivan's blog post http://ivan-herman.name/2011/04/01/2nd-last-call-for-rdfa-1-1/ but since he asked
> to leave comments here...

Thank you Simon! See comments below

> I don't know if someone suggested it before but regarding the change mode and frequency of the default profile I think
> that there doesn't really need to be a fixed frequency - nothing will break because an implementation doesn't have the
> newest default profile cached. A suggestion to implementations could be that whenever you see a prefix in a document
> that isn't declared in the document (or any profile used) and that's not in your cached default profile either, to
> reload the default profile document.
>
> Does that make sense?

Hm. The issue is that some implementation may decide, for obvious efficiency reasons, not to download and possibly
cache prefixes but rather to hardcode the available default prefixes in their code, with regular updates of the code.
For those implementations it is important to rely on a regular fixed interval.

Also... the current RDFa rules say that if a bbb:ccc cannot be interpreted as a CURIE, it is then a regular URI. This
means that every time somebody uses a URI (whose 'scheme' is then not part of the default prefix plan) the processor
would have to issue an extra HTTP to get and check the default profile. That may be very inefficient...

Ivan