Re: RDFa API comments from TimBL

On Oct 8, 2010, at 24:22 , Nathan wrote:

> Tim, Ivan, All,
>
> I strongly agree that the collective API needs defined, considered and produced as 3 separate parts, a core RDF API, an RDFa extension, then an extension which considers working with RDF programmatically, and I believe that's the approach we have and are taking (I know I personally am - implementing constrains that it is done that way).
>
> I'd also like to point out that any implementation of the RDFa API which is to be usable, requires the functionality of all 3 parts.

Our 'categorization' seem to differ... Under (3) I would like to separate those parts of the API that is necessary to work with RDF programmatically in general, but not really necessary for RDFa. My example was the removal of a triple from the store, but there might be others.

This separation is important, see below...

> Thus, Tim, perhaps if I refine the question to ask, which of the following approaches would you recommend:
>
> (1) Define all 3 parts separately, and in parallel as we are now, within the RDFa WG, releasing as a single document which is clearly split in to three key parts.
>
> (2) as per 1, but releasing two separate documents, one RDF specific, and one with the RDFa extensions in it - we currently have "RDFa 1.1 API" and "RDF TripleStore APIs (optional)" under milestones, this could be leveraged.
>
> (3) Have all 3 parts defined by different working groups

With the caveat of how I interpret the 3rd part... The issue is that this WG is not chartered to provide a generic RDF API. This is both a formal as well as a practical issue.

Formal, because we should try to avoid rechartering: that would endanger the timely creation of an RDFa 1.1; there is, these days, a clear uptake of RDFa (we see new sites using it almost every day) and we should not be seen to be late; RDFa 1.1 includes a number of important new features. Practical, because this group may not have the expertise for the whole spectrum.

In view of that, my preference is to have parts 1 and parts 2 clearly defined, and have it as a Recommendation; the 3rd part can be defined by this group but _not_ as a Recommendation, only as, say, a Working Group Note. Whether the first two parts are defined as one document (as it is now) or as two documents is a secondary issue; at this moment, my feeling is that it should stay as is now, and the separate Note could then be on 1 and 3, to make it a self-sustaining document. I have the feeling that, actually, we should try to minimize the first part to what is strictly necessary, again to be able to successfully close what is on the charter although, clearly, what should be part of the first part and what should not is a bit of a judgement call.

I do not have an answer on which W3C group should then take 1 and 3 (ie, that Note) and turn it into a formal standard. None of the current working groups, that is for sure, and we may decide to set up a separate, tightly chartered group for that. Let us cross the bridge when we get there.

One example of an issue that this group may not be able to solve and is definitely not chartered to do. Nathan, you had some examples in one of your previous mails on the facility to access RDF triples with a formalism like graph[subject][predicate] (or something like that). In your answer on what that means[1] you said:

[[[
It's much easier in Javascript (much is an understatement) - essentially
the full graph is turned in to an object of this structure
{
   ":nathan": {
     "foaf:name": ["nathan"],
     "foaf:knows": ["manu", "ivan", "mark"]
   }
   "subject2"...
}
]]]

which, for me, looks very close to a JSON encoding of a graph. Well, the new RDF Core group that we are discussing separately, may also have a JSON serialization of RDF on its charter; this means that this part of the functionality may have to be in line with what the serialization will look like. So this type of formalism, which is not strictly necessary for RDFa, could very well be part of part 3, and to be finalized later when there is a JSON serialization...

Thanks for all your efforts, Nathan!

Tim, how does all that sound?

Ivan

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdfa-wg/2010Oct/0047.html