Re: Atom 1.0 + RDFa 1.1

On Nov 15, 2010, at 11:56 , Toby Inkster wrote:

> On Mon, 2010-11-15 at 11:18 +0100, Ivan Herman wrote:
>> From a technical point of view, I must admit I feel a bit uneasy by
>> the fact that the your document requires changes on the processing
>> model.
>
> I assume you're talking about inferring typeof="" on <entry> elements.
> (Actually the Wiki also says to do this for <feed> - it shouldn't - I'll
> fix that.)
>
> It's not really my document that requires it - it's the existing Atom
> 1.0 syntax and semantics. Given:
>
> <feed xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom">
>  <entry>
>    <link rel="self" href="page1" />
>    <link rel="next" href="page2" />
>  </entry>
>  <entry>
>    <link rel="self" href="page2" />
>    <link rel="previous" href="page1" />
>  </entry>
> </feed>
>
> It is the entries that are the subjects of those links, not the feed
> itself. If we don't set a new subject for each entry, then we'll just
> get junk data back parsing existing Atom feeds.
>
> Yes, this does require coding rather than configuration, but if you
> wanted to abstract this kind of processing away from your parsing code
> you could add typeof="" attributes via an XSLT preprocess. (And you
> could do the same for about="" on <head> and <body> in HTML.) You'd have
> a single XSLT preprocessing file for each host language much like you'd
> have a single default profile.

Actually, this may be an idea on the specification level, too. Why don't we specify these things as a virtual DOM->DOM transformation in the document, too? Ie, let us not touch the formal processing steps of RDFa Core; rather, any host language could be defined by such transformations (and possibly a default profile). That would suggest a much cleaner separation specification-wise.

This is the same idea as what I had in mind for the container/collection stuff, and this is the way I also implemented it...

Ivan

> PS: if you dislike Atom+RDFa, wait until you start trying to parse
> OpenDocument's RDFa. :-)

:-(