Re: A rose by any other name is just as thorny...

Hi Ivan/Manu/Toby/Shane,

With respect, I feel we're going round in circles here......

Many of the problems you're trying to address are exactly the reason
we have the solution that we currently have.

For example, it's easy to say that we want the @rel/@rev values to be
mapped in a certain way, but how *exactly* does that happen? The
solution we came up with -- as of course, you know -- was to say that
there are tokens that are processed first, before any other CURIE
processing takes place.

Now, people seem to be saying that they want to move away from that.
Fair enough, I guess...but don't be surprised if the problems that pop
up when you move away from this approach are the very problems that
this technique aimed to solve!

When we discussed this issue we did consider the alternatives,
including making the @rel/@rev values be suffixes with a default
namespace prefix. In fact, I remember being really in favour of this
technique, but it was rejected by the group (rightly), due to a number
of problems:

1. The upper-case/lower-case issue.

2. What does @rel="next" in the scope of a new default prefix mean?
(And if it doesn't mean xhv:next then we're no longer
backwards-compatible.)

3. Junk triples.

I may have missed seeing #2 on the list recently, but #1 and #3 are
definitely back from the dead.

Anyway, forgive me if I'm missing something, but at the moment I'm
having difficulty seeing quite where this whole discussion is headed.
And worse, I'm getting an unnerving feeling that nearly anything is up
for redefinition -- even things that we did for good reason, many
moons ago.

(Of course 'unnerving feelings' are not always based on reality, so
feel free to tell me I needn't worry. ;))

By the way, the argument for using a default profile was so that other
languages could override it.

Regards,

Mark

--