Re: A rose by any other name is just as thorny...

On 03/26/2010 05:32 PM, Ivan Herman wrote:
> So, let me try to reformulate that to see if I understand

This is mostly correct, minor nits below:

> - we have the generic @vocab and @profile mechanism

Yes.

> - there is no default set of keywords hardcoded in RDFa 1.1 Core

Yup.

> - there is no default @vocab or @profile for RDFa 1.1 Core

We /could/ have a default @vocab/@profile for RDFa 1.1 Core, but allow
the language implementations to override it. Granted this makes little
sense. If we don't do this, then we have to make sure that the languages
that fold in RDFa MUST define @vocab/@profile

Yes, but there would be a default @vocab or a default @profile.

> - there is no default @profile set for RDFa 1.1. XHTML

Maybe. We haven't decided whether we care about the junk triples that a
default @vocab would create. If we care about junk triples, then we may
want to opt for a default @profile instead.

The difference is that a default @profile would only create triples for
keyword values that it knows exist. Granted, an RDFa processor could
hard-code those keyword values as long as it keeps those values up-to-date.

> - there _is_ a default @vocab, conceptually set on the <html> element,
> which is set to the value of "http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml/vocab#".

Maybe. See above.

> The issue I
> see is how various RDFa processors would know about those defaults. For
> the (X)HTML case I would probably look at the suffix and/or the media
> type and 'hardwire' the default that way; that could also work for other
> XML dialects that happen to have a dedicated suffix and media type...

We could say:

1. Look at the MIME type first if that is available.
2. If the MIME type is not available, look at the file extension.
3. If neither exist, assume RDFa Core's default @vocab/@profile.

President/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.
blog: PaySwarming Goes Open Source
http://blog.digitalbazaar.com/2010/02/01/bitmunk-payswarming/