Re: attempting to merge the 'vocab' and 'profile' documents

Ben,

If we forget about the 'how we do it' for a moment, I think having a
mechanism to put the zillions of xmlns: statement into one place and
replacing it with one reference is important. In my personal view it is
even _more_ important than the keyword mechanism.

Indeed: let us not think in terms of small vocabularies here;
vocabularies can be large. As an example, we are referring here to
Dublin Core fairly often; but let us not forget that in their latest
incarnation, ie,

http://purl.org/dc/terms/

there are much more terms than before: 55 (it used to be 15 in their
'legacy' space). Would we require the vocabulary publishers to publish
separate RDFa vocabulary files to publish separate keywords URI-s, too,
beyond the RDF files they already publish? This simply does not scale
for vocabularies that may hundred or more terms...

Coming back to 'how we do it'. Yes, the current proposal merges the two.
And though that is technically correct in the sense that it works, I was
wondering myself whether we should not keep the two separated. I almost
had a second version of the document doing that but then I decided not
to do it before having a discussion. What I had in mind is:

- in the vocabulary files there is a separate RDF term for prefixes and
for keywords

- the modification on the CURIE processing is different: the current
document proposes a modification whereby column and resourceless CURIE-s
simply map to the the URI that is mapped by that prefix; if we separate
the two than this would be restricted to terms that have been explicitly
identified as keywords

I have a slight preference, actually, for that technically more complex
approach because it might be cleaner for the users. Besides, if we want
to restrict the usage of keywords to certain attributes (see my mail on
that[1]) than such a separation might actually become necessary. But all
this is open for discussion.

Ivan

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdfa-wg/2010Mar/0034.html

FOAF   : http://www.ivan-herman.net/foaf.rdf